Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Life Lessons

It's been a really long time, and a lot of changes have come about.  I'm no longer a Carolina Girl, and I'm no longer happily married.  But I digress...

Just wanted to get my thought for the day out.

***People come in to your life for a reason.  When you have learned what you are to learn from them, it is time for them to move on.  You must accept this and not be bitter or angry at their departure.*** 

I was looking back and remembering those who've come in to my life and those who've gone out of it and what I learned from them.  I've tried to condense what I learned from them into something less than a novel.

Over the years, from different people, I've learned...

~strength and courage.  I've learned that I can and should stand on my own and be an independent woman.

~the down side of trust.  The walls I've built are too high for anyone to climb and too thick for anyone to tear down.  I'm sure over time, those walls will deteriorate, but for now they are standing strong.

~that I should never take a single moment for granted.  If you get too comfortable, life has a funny way of pulling the rug right out from underneath you. 

~that I should never be afraid to tell someone what they mean to me.  I learned that the *really* hard way, and I'll never get that chance with one person in particular.  It took me years to even be able to go to that cemetery, and now all I can do is put flowers on a grave and talk to a piece of stone with a name carved in it.

~that some people come in to your life to test your breaking point.  Some will use you until they have used you up if you let them.  From them, I've learned how to say no.

~that I have to take care of me.  I've struggled with this one for so long because I felt like I was being selfish.  I still struggle with it every day.

~that forever does exist, but it's just not in the cards for some of us.  Noone wants to believe that maybe they're meant to fly solo, but for some of us, it seems to be the hand we're dealt.

~that you don't have to be a beauty queen or a genius for people to look up to and admire you. 

~that you deal with what comes your way, adjust, suck it up, and move on.  Good things are waiting ahead.  Over the span of a lifetime, it's taken such a small fraction of that time to learn that.

~that I should laugh every day and not get so bogged down in worry.  I wish I had learned that before the vertical wrinkle that rivals the depth of some glacial crag took up permanent residence front and center on my forehead.

I've learned a lot more, but these are a few that stand out to me today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home