Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The best and worst in scrapbooking supplies

In my four and a half years of scrapbooking, I've had my hands on a LOT of different tools and supplies. Some have become "must have's" while others fall into the "that is the most awful thing I've ever seen!" category. Here are a few:


Love 'em

~Cutterpede trimmer - I've tried so many different trimmers, but the Cutterpede is the best I've come across. Crooked cuts and "off" measurement lines aren't an issue with this little green gem.

~Quickutz, especially the new squeeze hand tool - Their dies ROCK! It quickly becomes an obsession that overtakes your brain, screaming, "MUST HAVE MORE!" The old hand tools took more effort and were harder on the hands, but the new ones are heavenly.

~Perfect Layers - I mat a LOT of photos and journaling blocks, and this set is completely idiot proof. The mat that comes with it went into the trash soon after arrival b/c it stunk to high heaven, but those two ruler things are a definite "must have" in my stash.

~Xyron - OMG, how did I ever scrap without one? LOVE IT!!! The little "X" is invaluable! I have a 500 also, but I don't use it nearly as often.

~Bazzill cardstock - Yes, I started out using the flimsy non-textured cardstock that comes in packs at Wal-Mart. People told me that once I ever got my hands on a sheet of Bazzill, I'd turn into a paper snob. Whaddya know? They were right. On occasion, I don't have the right shade of Bazzill (oh, the horror!) and am forced to use something else that's been in my stash forever and a day. *ick* The weight, texture, and colors that Bazzill has is just beyond comparison to me.

~K&Co albums - *sigh* 'nuff said. They're pretty, durable, and the page protectors are true to size.

~Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Holy cow, what I wouldn't do to see into that man's imagination. I'll spare you my Tim Holtz babbling, though. Those inks are the greatest thing ever, and I have almost every color. Love 'em! Period.


Now that I'm in this dreamy stupor of scrapbooking heaven, I'll relive some *blick* moments of discovery.


Hate 'em

~QVC kits - I've bought two in my lifetime. Hey, I was a beginner and thought I had to have everything I saw that was scrapbook related! They're such a waste of money to me! Yeah, I used the albums, but most of the paper, stickers, and diecuts are STILL in my stash of "Please God, make my daughters use this crap!" I totally blame Lisa B. and David V. for that lapse in sanity.

~Page protectors that aren't true 12x12 - "ARGHHH!!!" That is THE most annoying thing ever! It sends me into tangents similar to an exorcism that would make sailors blush. Because I've run across the horrid things on more than one occasion, I stick with K&Co albums and refills because I *know* I wouldn't scare small children if they watched me put a LO in one.

~Creative Imaginations older lines of paper - Once again, can these people NOT measure a freakin' piece of paper??? I often layer patterned paper onto cardstock, and when I have a gap at the top or bottom b/c the 12x12 paper isn't *really* 12x12...well see the comment about the page protectors for my reaction.

~Paperkins - Yes, I used these little dorks in the past, and I have a couple of templates to make more, but I've evolved. I can't even begin to explain what all I hate about them.

~Tombo repositionable tape runners - Ugh. I just can't even go there. Licking the back of your picture to stick it down would give you better holding power.

And the worst thing EVAH???

~The grey and orange Fiskars paper trimmer!! - Ack!!!!! It's horrid. I had one for a while. It flew across the room several times b/c it refused to cooperate. All I ask is for a STRAIGHT CUT, for cryin' out loud. Is that too much to ask? I was so dissappointed in it b/c as a seamstress, I've been a devoted Fiskars customer for many years. Their dressmaker scissors are just the cat's meow. They just seriously missed the mark with this little hunk of junk. I've heard that their other trimmers are much better, but I'm not willing to give them a chance. I've found my trimmer.

So there you have it. The good, the bad, and horrible according to me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tracey said...

LOL I'm with you on the fiskars trimmer. Scissors are da bomb, but that thing is garbage as you said. Tombo repositional too, totally agreed.

I bet that felt better to get it all out. Who knew a blog would be like therapy. It was mine during my entire cancer treatment. I'm glad to see you blogging.

8/23/06, 4:59 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I've got the stupid fiskars trimmer and hate it too!!!

8/23/06, 6:56 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I have that trimmer and HATE it!
You are so right about K&Co. They rock!! Sounds like you have been through some stinkers!! LOL

8/23/06, 8:10 PM  
Blogger Nesa said...

i think it's a unanimous vote on the paper trimmer by fiskars

8/24/06, 2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home